The mission of the Human Relations Commission is to improve the quality of life for Greensboro residents by encouraging fair treatment and promoting mutual understanding and respect among all people. The commission is chaired by Kevin Williams and Michael Picarelli is vice-chair. Review the full list of commission members.
Human Services Committee
Chair: (Interim) Commissioner Janice Reaves
Mission: Assess the viability and format of the Human Services Committee programs.
- Promote good human relations by conducting programs that enhance the quality of human relations in our community and educate residents on human relations issues
- Engage community organizations, groups, and individuals to build a more diverse community
- Assist in integrating immigrants and refugees into the community and establish referral links with City organizations and institutions.
Montgomery / Wells Housing Committee
Mission: Encourage fair treatment and promote mutual understanding and respect in housing-related matters.
- Continue to stay abreast of housing issues and keep commissioners informed
- Work closely with the Planning and Neighborhood Development departments
- Work with the Division of Code Enforcement as it applies housing code regulations
- Collaborate with the Greensboro Housing Coalition in advocating for affordable, well-maintained housing for all city residents
- Work closely with the City's Fair Housing Specialist to educate the public on housing matters.
Chair: Commissioner Michael Picarelli
Mission: Encourage fair treatment and promote mutual understanding and respect in the Guilford County Schools.
- Continue to celebrate Human Relations Month and build relationships with Guilford County Schools
- Build a relationship with the Guilford Education Alliance and National Conference for Community and Justice (NCCJ).
Complaint Review Committee
Chair: Commissioner Clarence Shuford
Mission: Review and assess complains made against sworn Greensboro Police Departrment (GPD) officers.
- Review complaints / meet with GPD staff
- Continue outreach to the community regarding the complaint review process.
International Advisory Committee
Chair: Umar Awan
Mission: Partner with Greensboro's international community with special emphasis on supporting community-based organizations serving immigrants and refugees in our City.
Chair: Commissioner Kevin Williams
Mission: Promote fair employment practices to small businesses through outreach, education, training, and intervention services to foster diverse and inclusionary practices in the workplace.
- Support emerging small businesses and foster sustainability of existing small businesses in Greensboro
- Educate small businesses on fair employment practices and diversity in the workplace.