Jonesboro Scott Park Neighborhood Plan
The City of Greensboro is working in partnership with the East Market Street Development Corporation (EMSDC) to improve the Jonesboro / Scott Park neighborhood. This is part of a larger EMSDC effort to improve neighborhoods adjacent to East Market Street as the corridor itself improves. EMSDC is using a Healthy Homes model, which focuses on increasing demand for housing in a neighborhood by improving overall conditions, making the private market an effective partner in neighborhood improvements. City Council adopted the Jonesboro / Scott Park Neighborhood Plan in August 2009.
For more than 100 years, the Jonesboro / Scott Park neighborhood has had a history as a quiet residential neighborhood of single family homes. Located north of East Market Street between US 29 and English Street, the neighborhood has recently faced a high crime rate, disinvestment and increased residential turnover brought about by a changing economy, and changes in adjacent neighborhoods.
The neighborhood plan reflects many public meetings and the input and support of a variety of City departments.
Recommendations focus on:
1. Building new housing that will add value to the neighborhood and spur investment.
2. Creating a successful project along East Market Street.
3. Taking advantage of the street grid pattern to create a unique neighborhood environment.
4. Increasing the visibility of the neighborhood.
5. Using NC A&T State University as a resource for improvements and investment.
6. Cleaning up the neighborhood’s vacant lots and least maintained properties.
7. Balancing increased business and apartments along East Market Street with the quiet neighborhood interior of detached housing.
Contact: Russ Clegg at 336-373-2349 or by e-mail